Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mother Beth's Plain Applesauce Cake

This recipe is a family recipe - I'm not even sure how many of the family have it any more! I recently found it in a file folder - after swearing to my mom that I was positive I didn't have it.

Why was I positive? It wasn't in with the recipes where it "had to be" - it was in with pictures of my grandmother (that's Mimi on the left - and the credit for the recipe goes to the lovely matriarch on the right, my grandfather's mother - Margaret Elizabeth "Mother Beth" Harwood). Isn't this a lovely daughter-in-law/mother-in-law photo?

I can't wait to try this recipe for the first time myself! I'll be sure to share the details once I do.



Mother Beth’s Plain Apple Sauce Cake
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
3 cups applesauce
4 t soda
4 ½ cups flour
2 t cinnamon
1 t cloves
1 t nutmeg
1 c raisins
1 c chopped nuts
Method:
Combine as a butter cake [if you know what this means, you're a better baker than I]. Measure & sift flour with spices. Cream shortening and sugar. Add applesauce (with soda added). Then add flour & raisins.
Bake: ?
Personal note-no baking temps or times included on the handwritten recipe card – will need to test this.

No comments:

Post a Comment